Monday, October 4, 2010

Harvest Apple Æbleskiver

This is a seasonal adaptation of the basic æbleskiver recipe that I posted yesterday.  By substituting some of the buttermilk with apple cider, and adding some cinnamon and nutmeg, this makes a heavenly autumnal breakfast.  Since I rarely have buttermilk on hand when I get the whim to make these, I use the substitution described in the previous recipe.  For this particular version, I use a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar combined with milk to get a buttermilk-like result.  I think the best way to enjoy these is with some warm apple butter and a little plain yogurt, but they can also be served with butter and maple syrup.


Harvest Apple Æbleskiver

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, plus enough milk to make up 1 cup of liquid
6 egg whites
6 egg yolks
1 cup apple cider
2 cups flour (I use whole wheat)
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Oil or cooking spray
Powdered sugar (optional)

  1. Combine vinegar and milk and let stand at least ten minutes.
  2. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Set aside.
  3. Beat yolks until lemon-colored.  Mix in milk, cider, flour, honey, spices, baking soda, and salt.  Gently fold in beated whites.  
  4. Heat æbleskiver pan over medium heat.  Place small amount of oil or cooking spray in each cup of pan. Fill each cup about 2/3 full with batter.  Cook until batter bubbles up a bit and is set around edges.  Turn puffs with a toothpick or wooden skewer and cook until completely set.  (This will vary depending on your pan-- one of my pans takes a few minutes longer than the other, so you'll have to experiment with what works best for you.)  Roll finished æbleskiver in powdered sugar, if desired.
Yield: 75-80 puffs

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Ebelskivers (spelled incorrectly). I'm going to try this recipe. The best luck I've had so far is just using a plain old pancake recipe. They have formed the nicest balls. Even Bruce could do it! I used a recipe that required beating the egg whites and it was so hard to get a good shape! Thoughts? Feelings? But we'll give these a go and see how we do. P.S. Can you really get 75-80 puffs? That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also P.S. my word verification was "balato" Wasn't there a cartoon about a dog named Balto? How about BalAto?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to do a recheck on the yield... that's what the recipe card tells me, and they never lie, right? ;) It seems fairly accurate though, if memory serves.
    And I think the world needs more dog cartoons. Totally. :)

    ReplyDelete