Friday, October 1, 2010

Grandma Taylor's Whole Wheat Bread


Awhile back, my mom decided to take a look at my great-grandmother's whole wheat bread recipe and modernize it for our benefit.  Growing up, it was a staple in our home and nothing was quite as soothing as the smell of the homemade loaves baking in the oven.  My dad loves this recipe in particular because it uses honey-- rather than sugar or some other sweetener-- to get the yeast happy and bubbling.  It also adds a wonderful flavor to the finished product. 


I typically use this recipe as a jumping off point for whatever I feel like making at the time.  I frequently add oats and ground flaxseed to mine, and you can experiment as well.  Just make your additions with the dry ingredients and as long as your dough has the right texture after kneading-- pliable and elastic, you should be golden.


Enjoy one of our family's heirloom recipes!


Grandma Taylor's Whole Wheat Bread
  • 3 cups very warm water
  • 1/2 cup oil (I use canola or grapeseed)
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons instant yeast
  • 8-10 cups whole wheat flour (It will vary slightly each time)
  • 3/4 cup powdered milk
  • 1/4 cup gluten
1.  Stir oil, honey, salt in warm water in a large mixing bowl to combine.  Add yeast and stir gently.  Let rest for about 10 minutes as the yeast activates.  (I grind my wheat while during this time.)
2.  In a separate large bowl sift 6 cups flour, powdered milk, and gluten.  After yeast has started to activate, stir in flour mixture, a few cups at the time.  (I use my stand mixer's dough hook to combine.)  After flour mixture is combined with wet ingredients, add additional flour in 1/2-cup increments until ideal dough consistency is achieved.  Knead dough for 10-12 minutes.  Scrape sides of bowl and cover with cloth and let rise until double, about 1 hour.  
3.  Punch dough down and separate into 3 portions, kneading each briefly.  Form into loaves and placed in greased bread pans.  Cover with cloth and let rise until double, 45-60 minutes.  Place in preheated oven and bake.  After baking, let rest in pans 5-10 minutes, then remove and allow to cool on racks.

Depending on your type of bread pan (metal, glass, etc.) and oven you may have to experiment with the baking temperature.  I have metal pans and bake my loaves in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment