Friday, September 10, 2010

By Way of Introduction...

It is a semi-little known fact that I studied culinary arts while in college.

Actually, it was the predominant reason for my packing up and leaving Zoobieville and transferring to the spot where the sagebrush grows. I left the Y with the intention of pursuing my culinary ambitions at USU, hoping to land an internship with Martha Stewart Living, like fellow alumnus Tara Bench.

It just didn't work out the way I had anticipated.

After some drastic changes were made to the school's program, I became disenchanted with things and decided to switch majors. I resolved to attend culinary school after graduating with my bachelor's degree. But life intervened, as it has a tendency to do.

And for that, I'm grateful.

I love my life. I'm thankful that my passion for cooking led me to Utah State, even if my ambitious dreams didn't come to fruition-- because that decision ultimately is what allowed Bryson and I to meet. Today I don't work in a fancy schmancy office in Manhattan, creating fabulous culinary concoctions. But to be honest, I'm not certain I'd be happy doing that sort of thing at this point in my life. I may lead a quiet little life in small town America, but you know-- my life feels anything but little and small. It is full of depth, richness, and love. And those are qualities that I wouldn't trade for prestige and wealth any day of the week.

Oh, and I still love to cook.
Hence, the new blog.

This new site is basically born out of a purely selfish desire to better catalogue my adventures in the kitchen. I am constantly trying out new recipes and tweaking things to better suit my preferences. Because-- confession time-- I am kind of a food snob.

Which is not to say I don't enjoy a good green Jell-o salad from time to time like any other good church-going Mormon. I do. But when I cook for my family, that isn't a staple on our dinner table. We tend to eat seasonal, whole foods-- many of which come from our home garden. Because Bryson and I are hobbyist athletes, I also collect a lot of pre- and post-workout recipes. But because we are huge believers in keeping all things in moderation, we indulge sporadically in wonderfully rich entrees and desserts. Add into the mix a huge love of ethnic foods-- particularly Indian, Italian, and Mexican-- and there just isn't much by way of a single cookbook that addresses our family's palate.

Which is why my bookcase shelves are covered in a myriad of cookbooks and back issues of Cooking Light, Martha Stewart Living, Gourmet, Clean Eating, and Oxygen.

And to be honest, I'm growing tired of the clutter.

So, I'm going digital with my recipe collection-- and decided to share. Because, you know, I'm kinda nice and stuff. Hopefully you find something here that nourishes you-- body and soul. For when it boils right down to it, that's the essence of good food-- in my opinion.

Let's get cooking.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah my fellow food snob!!! Your mom told me about you new blog. I love it and can't wait to see what's coming out of your kitchen. A girl always need some new ideas!!

    ReplyDelete